Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Right... For the first time ever, I find myself obliged to post something about the environment having enthusiastically signed myself up for the "Blog Action Day" (for details, see the nice little link in the sidebar). I did it in the hope of finding something to write on my long since unused blog, but the inspiration has evaded me. Maybe I could write a 'ten things you can do to help out' or random rants about the environment demons in the world (that would follow the general tone of this blog anyway). And I'm still waiting for that stroke of genius.

Ah well, here's how to make me happy. Don't litter, biodegradable stuff on good soil is not a problem, but plastic- keep evil off. Try not to use it, anyway. Let me repeat an old independence day rant by asking all people to shun the plastic flags. Replace your light bulbs, use fluorescent lighting. (They come in yellow too, I should know, I use one such.) Edison might have been the greatest inventor and this his best invention, we shall not forget his contribution to science. Just utilize the evolved version instead.

Conserve Paper. A bit rich, coming from a die hard stationery fan who cannot live without paper, but I do try. I do not waste paper, at any rate, and am slowly being converted to electronic methods of creating art (Photoshop/Gimp/Blender/Autodesk anyone?). Print only if you must. It might be a waste of electricity, but I know for a fact that most of the electricity that we are supplied with is hydroelectric. (We suffer load shedding in summer, see.) For notes, use bagasse paper/recycled paper. The processing may pollute just as much, but this way the trees aren't hurt. It is Pareto superior, and will do until the Pareto efficient solution is found.

Stop smoking. Cigarettes, joints, etc are neither good for you, nor for the environment. Many aren't even properly put out before being disposed of, which additionally adds to the litter. If you do not want to live beyond the lifespan of an average smoker, petition for the legalization of euthanasia, no one's going stop you (Though I might file a counter petition, come to think of it). I'm quite sure my readers are not the kind of people who might buy a tiger's skin, or a preserved sea horse or some similar morbid motif.

Go Green!


PS. Posted at 23:26 IST. Made it. (=

1 comment:

kroswami said...

"die hard stationery fan"
as i found out the sniff sniff hard way!